This 4th of July, in celebration of our Declaration of Independence, We have some dynamite recipes to try!!!
Drinks to start!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Drinks for the kids!!! Not only does this drink fit the star spangled banner theme, but involving your kids in making them will give your kids a science lesson on how liquids separate!!!! Make sure to add ice with each layer; it helps with the separation. And if you’re supermom, make star-shaped ice cubes!!
4th of July Kiddie Mocktails
Adapted from Family Fun. Makes 1 12-ounce (tall) glass.
3 ounces fruit punch
3 ounces blue Gatorade (not sugar-free)
3 ounces diet 7-Up or Sprite (must be sugar-free; so diet only)
Fill glass 1/3 full with ice cubes. Pour fruit punch almost (but not quite) to top of ice cubes. Fill another 1/3 with ice cubes and slowly pour blue Gatorade almost to top of cubes. Fill final 1/3 ice cubes and slowly pour sugar-free Sprite. Add straw and voila!
Time for the main course!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Whiskey Barrel Burgers
These mouthwatering hamburgers taste even better with the addition of a juicy whiskey-cheddar filling. Prepare them the night before for a 20-minute grilled dinner solution.
2/3 cup finely chopped green onions
1/3 cup whiskey
¼ cup fine dry bread crumbs
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons butter, melted
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ teaspoon seasoned salt or garlic salt
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
1 pound ground beef
1 pound ground pork
8 lettuce leaves
8 red onion slices
8 red and/or yellow tomato slices
8 kaiser rolls or onion hamburger buns, split and toasted
½ cup barbecue sauce
The day before:
1. In a large bowl combine green onions, whiskey, bread crumbs, Worcestershire sauce, melted butter, garlic, seasoned salt, crushed red pepper, and black pepper. Add ground beef and ground pork; mix well. Shape meat mixture into sixteen 1/2-inch-thick patties. Place 1 tablespoon of the Cheddar-Whiskey Filling on the center of each of eight of the patties (reserve remaining filling). Top with the remaining eight patties; pinch edges together to seal. In a storage container layer patties between sheets of waxed paper; cover and chill overnight.
2. For a charcoal grill, arrange medium-hot coals around a drip pan. Test for medium heat above pan. Place patties on grill rack over drip pan. Cover and grill for 10 minutes. Turn patties; cover and grill for 5 minutes. Top each patty with 1 tablespoon of the remaining filling. Cover and grill about 5 minutes more or until done (160 degrees F). (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Adjust for indirect grilling and grill as above.)
3. Spread bottoms of rolls with barbecue sauce; top with burgers, lettuce, red onion, and tomato.
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (8 ounces)
1/3 cup finely chopped green onions
2 tablespoons whiskey
1 ½ teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
2 cloves garlic, minced
In a food processor combine shredded cheddar cheese (8 ounces), finely chopped green onions, whiskey, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic, minced. Cover and process until nearly smooth.
Loaded Baked Potatoe Salad
YIELD: 8 servings
PREP TIME: 45 Minutes
COOK TIME: 10 Minutes
TOTAL TIME: 55 Minutes + 2 Hours chill time
1 ½ lbs. Red Potatoes, cut into ¾” chunks - peel ½ of the potatoes, leave skin on other ½
1 oz. Hidden Valley Ranch Dip Mix packet
¾ c. Low-Fat Sour Cream
¼. c. Mayonaise
½ tsp. Garlic, minced
½ tsp. Ground Pepper
1 tsp. Dijon Mustard
2 tsp. Minced Cilantro
¾ c. Shredded Cheddar Cheese
5 slices Bacon, cooked and chopped
2 Tablespoons minced chives
1. In a medium pot, place chunked potatoes and cover with 1” of water. Bring potatoes to a boil over high heat and reduce to medium, allowing to simmer for 10 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork-tender.
2. When potatoes are done, drain and place on a lined baking sheet. Immediately sprinkle with packet of ranch dip and fold potatoes over with a spatula until the dip mix is evenly distributed. Place baking sheet of potatoes into the fridge for approximately 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are cool.
3. While potatoes are chilling, fry and chop 5 slices of bacon and shred cheddar cheese.
4. In a large bowl, whisk together sour cream, mayo, pepper, garlic, mustard, and cilantro.
5. When potatoes are cool, pour into large bowl of sour cream mixture.
6. Fold in shredded cheddar cheese and bacon. Sprinkle chives on top of potato salad.
Chill for two hours until flavors meld. Devour.
Patriotic Taco Salad
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Cook: 20 min.
MAKES: 8 servings
1 pound ground turkey or beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1-1/2 cups water
1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
1 envelope taco seasoning
6 cups tortilla corn chips
4 to 5 cups shredded lettuce
9 to 10 pitted large olives, sliced lengthwise
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
1. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the water, tomato paste and taco seasoning.
Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
2. Place chips in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. dish. Spread beef mixture evenly over the top. Cover with lettuce. For each star, arrange five olive slices
together in the upper left corner. To form stripes, add cheese and tomatoes in alternating rows. Serve immediately. Yield: 8 servings.
Editor's Note: If you wish to prepare this salad in advance, omit the layer of chips and serve them with the salad.
And now on to dessert!!! We had to test these out to make sure we approved. Here are our easy and festive tips for Fourth of July Dessert!
We made this first recipe in less than 10 minutes!
Berry Covered Angel Food Cake!
I love this recipe because it's ridiculously easy and looks like it's straight out of Martha Stewart!
All you need is:
- premade Angel Food Cake from the grocery,
- cool whip
- patriotic colored berries.
First, slice the cake in half like a hamburger bun. Then add a layer of cool whip and berries. Replace the top and add the rest of the cool whip in the center of the cake and on the top. Cover with more berries and Voila! You're ready to go!
This second dessert is also super easy and make an amazing display at the party!
Cupcake Berry Flag!
Cupcakes are always a hit and these are made even more delicious and beautiful with the American flag berries on top. A perfect activity for kids to help with too! We chose "Funfetti" cake mix to be festive like fireworks, but you can use any kind of cake you like!
Here is what you need for this easy dessert
- Cake mix, eggs, vegetable oil and water
- cupcake papers and muffin tin
Mix and bake your cupcakes. Let them cool and then add the icing. Arrange them on the tray in a rectangle. Final step is to add berries to the cupcakes to make a flag pattern. Super easy and delicious!
Segreto Crew is ready for Fourth of July Dessert! YUM!
Hope you all have a wonderful 4th of July! Enjoy some of these fun treats with your family and friends while watching the fireworks! Until next week! XO Leslie
To subscribe to the Segreto Blog click here.